About First Lutheran
The Reverend J.W. Shuey, mission developer, began work in Portsmouth in January, 1908 under the call of the Synod of Virginia. On June 7, 1908, with 38 charter members, First Evangelical Luthern Church was organized in the Pythian Castle on the corner of Court and County Streets. At the same meeting the congregation called the Rev. J.W. Shuey as its first Pastor. At this time the only other Lutheran congregations in the area were First, Norfolk (organized 1894) and Trinity, Newport News(organized (1898).
Serenity in the sanctuary at night
Family Support Systems
Pastoral, Pre-Marital, Family, Grief
Here at First Lutheran Church Portsmouth we offer the following: